Unlock the World of Language Learning: Opportunities for International Students

International and foreign language learning is becoming increasingly accessible, especially for traditionally underserved students. The University of California at Riverside offers a wealth of foreign language courses, from Arabic to Russian, as well as a degree in Spanish. This program encourages students to pursue a double major, opening up funding opportunities from other departments. Doctoral students in Spanish have priority when it comes to financial assistance, and may be eligible for a teaching assistant position which would cover the cost of their tuition and provide a stipend.

SUNY Oswego students can specialize in French, German, or Spanish, or obtain an interdisciplinary specialization in International Language and Trade. At the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, students can pursue interdisciplinary study in a variety of languages, integrating the study of a foreign language, literature, and culture. The Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures sponsors several organizations, including the headquarters of French and Spanish national honor societies, a French-language and cultural center, and clubs for students interested in French, Italian, Spanish and classical languages. The Department of Slavic and Baltic Languages and Literatures also offers the Hejna Fund for Polish Language and Literature (intended for international research and exchange) and the Lithuanian Tuition Award (a tuition exemption for all language courses).

Resources such as the Translation Center and the Language Teaching and Research Laboratory provide opportunities to improve language skills in a business or academic environment, while residential programs offer an immersive experience. The University of California at Riverside also offers a program which allows students to receive credits for participating in an organized service activity such as working in the Spanish immersion program at a local elementary school or teaching English to foreign speakers at a local high school. The University Station A&M in Texas offers a degree in modern language with an emphasis on French, German, Russian or classical languages. A certificate in a foreign language is an academic program that focuses on specific skill sets. Students are encouraged to take advantage of study abroad opportunities that support the language and culture of their specialty. The Department of International Studies at the University Station A&M offers specializations in French, Italian, Spanish (with possible concentrations in literature or translation and interpretation), Romance languages (two languages), teaching adolescent education or comparative literature.

A bachelor's degree in a foreign language is a 4-year undergraduate program that provides students with a fundamental foundation in the mechanics, literature, culture, and history of a language. Students must complete at least seven courses in the chosen language as well as a general course of language study. Available specialties include French language and literature, French translation and literature, French and French-speaking studies, German language and literature, German studies, Italian and Russian language and literature, Russian regional studies, Russian regional studies, Slavic and Eastern European literature and culture, Slavic and Eastern European regional studies, Spanish and Latin American culture, and comparative literature. International students looking to pursue foreign language learning have many options available to them. From teaching assistant positions to interdisciplinary specializations to certificates in foreign languages - there are plenty of opportunities to explore. Language learning is no longer just for those who can afford it - there are now plenty of opportunities available for international students who want to explore the world through foreign languages.

From teaching assistant positions to interdisciplinary specializations to certificates in foreign languages - there are plenty of ways to get involved. At the University of California at Riverside (UCR), students can pursue double majors that open up funding opportunities. Doctoral students have priority when it comes to financial assistance - they may be eligible for teaching assistant positions that cover tuition costs as well as provide stipends. SUNY Oswego offers specializations in French, German or Spanish as well as interdisciplinary specializations in International Language & Trade.

The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has several organizations dedicated to foreign language learning - from French & Spanish national honor societies to clubs dedicated to French & Italian - as well as resources such as Translation Centers & Language Teaching & Research Laboratories that help improve language skills. UCR also offers credits for participating in organized service activities such as working at local elementary schools or teaching English at local high schools. The University Station A&M offers degrees & certificates in modern languages with an emphasis on French, German & Russian - plus specializations such as Romance Languages (two languages), Teaching Adolescent Education & Comparative Literature. Bachelor's degrees provide students with fundamental foundations in mechanics & culture while study abroad opportunities support language & culture specialization.

International students have plenty of options when it comes to exploring foreign language learning opportunities. With so many options available - from teaching assistant positions to interdisciplinary specializations - there's something out there for everyone.